Welcome to my blog!

I am a SAHM of 8 kids, 4 girls, 1 boy and 3 angel babies that I miss dearly. I never thought I'd have this many kids, but I'm loving every minute of it. We home school, don't vax, breastfeed, didn't circ, cosleep, EC and a whole bunch of other things that some people might think is pretty weird or "out there". lol It works for us.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Elimination Communication (EC)

Elimination Communication sounds like something that would require years of training right?  lol  Basically, it means learning your baby's cues that tell you when he or she is going to go potty or teaching your baby cues when to go potty.  Yes, I know, it sounds crazy right?  How could my infant possible know when they are going to go potty?  Talk to someone who has done this and they will enthusiastically tell you about the moment when they made this connection with their child. 

There are some people who sit their baby on their choice of potty many, many times a day.  I applaud them, however, having 5 kids and being in school, I don't have that kind of time.  I take a more relaxed approach to ECing.  Whenever I change my baby's diaper I put him on the potty for a few minutes.  I started this with Thalea, my 4th daughter, when she was about 2 months old and she was out of diapers during the day by the time she was 18 months old.  In the last few months that she was in diapers, she wasn't using nearly as many as a toddler who hadn't been EC'd. 

We started with my son, Thales, much earlier since we already had the potty and the theory.  He's done fairly well so far, we've caught quite a few pees and poops.  He started rejecting the potty a few weeks ago, so we have taken a little break, but will be starting again.

The way that I look at it is - every pee or poop that we catch in his little potty is another diaper that I don't have to wash.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment